Massachusetts SJC Requires Proof of Recklessness in School Threat Cases Involving Social Media Posts
The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court’s decision in Commonwealth v. Ushon U., SJC-13793, addresses a difficult and increasingly common issue: when can a social media post by a student be prosecuted as a criminal threat against a school?
The case involved a juvenile who reposted on TikTok an image of a man in a school hallway aiming an assault rifle, with the words “Me at School” written across the image. Another student saw the repost, was frightened, and reported it to school officials. The juvenile was charged under G. L. c. 269, § 14 (b), the Massachusetts statute that criminalizes threats involving dangerous devices, substances, or items at a particular place or location. A Juvenile Court jury found him delinquent.
The SJC held that, after the United States Supreme Court’s decision in Counterman v. Colorado, the Commonwealth must prove more than the fact that the communication would reasonably be understood as threatening. It must also prove that the person who made the communication consciously disregarded a substantial risk that the communication would be viewed as threatening violence.
Because the jury in Ushon U. was not instructed on that required mental-state element, the SJC remanded the case for further proceedings.
The Facts Behind the Case
The juvenile was a high school student. On his public TikTok account, he reposted an image showing a male figure standing in a school hallway, aiming an assault rifle, with additional weapons visible. The image included the words “Me at School.”
The juvenile did not create the image. There was no evidence that he added the words to it. The alleged criminal act was the reposting of the image to his public TikTok account.
Another student, identified in the decision by the pseudonym “Beth,” had previously dated the juvenile. She saw the image while scrolling through his TikTok account. The image frightened her. She told her mother and school officials, and she saved a screenshot.
A school resource officer later contacted the juvenile’s parents, told them about the post, and received permission to search the home for weapons because of the school-safety concern. The officer then spoke with the juvenile in the presence of his parents.
The juvenile said the repost was accidental. He also said the image reflected his “dark sense of humor.” By the time the officer looked at the juvenile’s phone, the image was no longer there.
The case went to trial in Juvenile Court. The jury returned a finding of delinquency. The judge later vacated the delinquency finding, continued the case without a finding, and imposed probation until the juvenile’s nineteenth birthday.
The SJC took the case on direct appellate review.
The Statute at Issue: Threats Against Places
The juvenile was prosecuted under G. L. c. 269, § 14 (b). That statute was enacted after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and is aimed at threats involving dangerous items, substances, or devices at specific places or locations.
To prove a violation of the statute, the Commonwealth must show that the defendant willfully communicated, or caused to be communicated, a threat to use or have present a dangerous device, substance, or item capable of causing death, serious bodily injury, or substantial property damage at a place or location.
In this case, the place was the school. The alleged dangerous item was the firearm depicted in the image.
The statute differs from the more familiar Massachusetts threat statute, G. L. c. 275, § 2, which criminalizes threats to commit a crime against a person or property. But both statutes have a common feature: they criminalize threatening communications.
That common feature is what made the United States Supreme Court’s decision in Counterman so important.
The First Amendment Problem
Not every offensive, disturbing, tasteless, or alarming statement can be punished as a crime. Speech is protected by the First Amendment unless it falls into a recognized category of unprotected speech.
“True threats” are one such category. A true threat is a serious expression that conveys that the speaker means to commit unlawful violence.
But in Counterman v. Colorado, the United States Supreme Court held that the First Amendment requires proof of a subjective mental state before someone can be convicted for a true threat. It is not enough that a reasonable person would view the communication as threatening. The prosecution must prove that the defendant had at least a reckless mental state: that the defendant consciously disregarded a substantial risk that the communication would be viewed as threatening violence.
Massachusetts had already applied Counterman to prosecutions under G. L. c. 275, § 2, in Commonwealth v. Cruz. In Ushon U., the SJC extended that reasoning to G. L. c. 269, § 14 (b).
The SJC’s Holding
The SJC held that, to obtain a conviction or delinquency adjudication under G. L. c. 269, § 14 (b), the Commonwealth must prove an additional constitutional element:
The Commonwealth must prove that the defendant or juvenile consciously disregarded a substantial risk that the communication would be viewed as threatening violence, and made or caused the communication anyway.
That requirement is now part of the Commonwealth’s burden in these threat-against-place cases.
This does not mean the Commonwealth must prove that the speaker actually intended to carry out the threat. Nor does it require proof that the speaker wanted others to feel afraid. But it does require proof that the speaker was aware of a substantial risk that others would understand the communication as threatening violence and consciously disregarded that risk.
That distinction matters.
A foolish joke, meme, repost, or online statement may be alarming. But criminal liability requires proof of the required mental state.
Why the Jury Instruction Was Wrong
At trial, the jury were instructed that the Commonwealth had to prove that the juvenile engaged in or caused a communication, that the communication constituted a threat involving a firearm or dangerous item at a place or location, and that the juvenile acted willfully rather than by accident or mistake.
The jury were not instructed that the Commonwealth had to prove the juvenile consciously disregarded a substantial risk that the repost would be viewed as threatening violence.
The SJC held that this omission was error.
The juvenile’s lawyer objected to parts of the threat instruction, but did not specifically mention Counterman or request the missing recklessness instruction. Because the objection was not specific enough, the SJC reviewed the issue under the “substantial risk of a miscarriage of justice” standard.
Even under that less favorable standard, the juvenile prevailed. The SJC concluded that the missing instruction created a substantial risk of a miscarriage of justice because the jury were never asked to decide a required element of the offense.
The Evidence Was Sufficient — But the Instruction Still Required Reversal
The SJC did not hold that the Commonwealth’s evidence was legally insufficient. In fact, the Court held the opposite.
Viewed in the light most favorable to the Commonwealth, the evidence was sufficient for a jury to find that the juvenile willfully reposted the image and consciously disregarded a substantial risk that it would be seen as threatening violence.
The Court pointed to several facts:
The image depicted a person in a school hallway aiming an assault rifle, with the words “Me at School.” The juvenile was a high school student. His TikTok account was public. The reposting process required more than one step. The juvenile acknowledged that the image reflected his “dark sense of humor.” The image was later deleted, which the jury could view as evidence that the juvenile knew he should not have reposted it.
Those facts were enough to allow the case to go to a jury.
But sufficiency is not the same as proper jury instructions. Even if the evidence could support a finding of recklessness, the jury still had to be told that recklessness was required. Because they were not, the case had to be remanded.
The Accident Defense
A major factual issue was whether the juvenile reposted the image by accident.
The juvenile told the school resource officer that he accidentally reposted the image and removed it as soon as he realized the mistake. The jury heard evidence about how TikTok reposting works. According to the testimony, reposting requires a user to bring up a menu and then select the repost option. The SJC held that the jury could infer from that evidence that the repost was deliberate, not accidental.
At the same time, the juvenile’s explanation mattered. Because the defense of accident was fairly raised, the Commonwealth had the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the repost was not accidental.
This is another important aspect of the decision. In digital-speech cases, seemingly small facts about how an app functions may become central to whether the act was intentional, accidental, reckless, or misunderstood.
The Motion to Dismiss Was Properly Denied
The juvenile also argued that the complaint should have been dismissed because there was no probable cause.
The SJC rejected that argument. Because the evidence at trial was sufficient to meet the higher standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, it necessarily satisfied the lower probable-cause standard.
The Court also noted that the complaint application may have contained information even stronger than the trial evidence, including the juvenile’s allegedly conflicting explanations to his father and information about prior interactions with police involving threats or violence.
As a result, the motion to dismiss was properly denied.
Why This Decision Matters
Commonwealth v. Ushon U. is important because it recognizes both sides of the modern school-threat problem.
On one hand, schools must take threatening posts seriously. Images involving guns, school hallways, and statements like “Me at School” can cause fear, disrupt school communities, and raise genuine safety concerns. Police and school officials do not have to ignore posts simply because they appear on social media or because the speaker later describes them as a joke.
On the other hand, teenagers often communicate online through memes, reposts, irony, exaggeration, and poor judgment. The Constitution does not allow criminal punishment based only on the fact that speech was disturbing or misunderstood. Before a juvenile can be adjudicated delinquent for a threat, the Commonwealth must prove the required mental state.
The SJC’s decision does not immunize social media threats. But it does require careful proof.
Defense Takeaways
For defense lawyers, Ushon U. provides several important lessons.
First, in any Massachusetts threat case involving speech, counsel should ask whether a Counterman instruction is required. If the charge involves a true threat, the jury should be instructed that the Commonwealth must prove subjective recklessness — that the defendant consciously disregarded a substantial risk that the communication would be viewed as threatening violence.
Second, counsel must preserve the issue clearly. A general objection to a threat instruction may not be enough. The objection should specifically identify the missing mental-state requirement and cite Counterman, Cruz, and now Ushon U.
Third, in social media cases, the defense should investigate the platform mechanics. How does reposting work? Can it happen accidentally? What steps are required? Was the account public or private? Who could see the post? How long was it visible? Was it deleted before or after outside intervention?
Fourth, the defense should separate bad judgment from criminal recklessness. A post can be offensive, immature, or frightening without necessarily proving that the juvenile consciously disregarded a substantial risk that others would view it as threatening violence.
Finally, in juvenile cases, counsel should emphasize the developmental realities of adolescence. Teenagers may lack the same appreciation of consequences as adults. That does not excuse every act, but it matters when the Commonwealth must prove a subjective mental state.
Practical Impact for Massachusetts Schools and Families
The decision will likely affect how school-threat cases are investigated and tried.
Police and school officials will continue to respond seriously to posts suggesting school violence. But prosecutors will need to prove more than the existence of a disturbing image or statement. They will need evidence that the juvenile understood the substantial risk that the communication would be perceived as threatening violence and disregarded that risk.
That evidence may come from the content of the post itself, the surrounding circumstances, prior statements, deletion of the post, conflicting explanations, the juvenile’s relationship to the school, or other conduct.
For families, the decision is a reminder that online activity can quickly become a criminal case. A repost, meme, or joke may lead to a police investigation, school discipline, search of a home, criminal complaint, probation, and long-term collateral consequences.
For defense attorneys, the decision is a reminder that speech cases require both constitutional analysis and factual precision.
Conclusion
Commonwealth v. Ushon U. clarifies that prosecutions under G. L. c. 269, § 14 (b), must comply with the First Amendment rule announced in Counterman. The Commonwealth must prove that the person who made the alleged threat consciously disregarded a substantial risk that the communication would be viewed as threatening violence.
The SJC held that the evidence in this case was sufficient to support the complaint and to permit a jury finding. But because the jury were not instructed on the required recklessness element, the case had to be remanded.
The decision is especially important in juvenile and school-related social media cases. It recognizes that schools must respond to threats, but also that criminal punishment requires proof of a constitutionally sufficient mental state.
Call to Action
If your child has been accused of making a threat at school, posting threatening content online, or sharing a social media image that led to police involvement, you should speak with an experienced Massachusetts criminal defense attorney immediately. These cases move quickly, and the consequences can include school discipline, probation, juvenile court involvement, and lasting collateral consequences.
The lawyers at Benzaken, Sheehan & Wood, LLP defend juveniles and adults in serious criminal cases throughout Massachusetts, including cases involving school threats, social media posts, firearms allegations, and threats under Massachusetts law.
Contact Benzaken, Sheehan & Wood, LLP today to schedule a confidential consultation and protect your child’s future.